Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Abdominoplasty Horror Stories

of lies, liars and other demons

ie, the truth subheading


I have a friend, Abdoulaye, who took to heart the 'start of my new business and calls me at the most unthinkable step for me tomorrow in office so you talk about everything and nothing, so I said to my great amusement, and I dare not stop.
so often find me across the desk looking at me solemnly, with a beige jacket and shiny shoes, his hands folded on his stomach, sitting straight and seriously, his presence fills the entire office.
yesterday we were discussing the best approach to take with customers and is coming off an interesting discussion about the different looks possible.
ie, the truth is one?
Laye and Senegal, Dakar.
was the clerk of the civil court knows the laws, the limits and possibilities of legal systems and therefore fully understands the limits and possibilities of my work: I am a consultant for immigration, trade is relatively recent in our immature country, help people to orient themselves and to acquire tools in the context of immigration law.
mestiere da squali, mestiere senza regole, gola buia e umida per chi vuole speculare e ballare sui cadaveri degli immigrati.
ho la pretesa di fare questo mestiere onestamente e laye lo sa.

si discuteva di cosa dire e cosa non dire, ai clienti.

il mio amico sostiene, in una logica e con uno sguardo tutto senegalese, che dire la verità nuda e cruda non è fonte di rassicurazione quanto piuttosto di scoraggiamento in persone già provate dalle difficoltà dell’emigrazione, dalle attese, dalle barriere, dal rifiuto che vivono una volta passata la frontiera.
la verità va apparecchiata in modo da essere digerita: do not say to a person "between the demand and the response of an entry visa for employment may also pass two years" if anything is said that the answer might take more than six months.
no lie, and it is less upsetting.
given the fact that neither I nor anyone else actually including officials of the Prefecture for examining the application for entry, we can actually say with certainty how long it will take.
the law establishes twenty days, the reality is a huge black hole that eats the dawn of time.

I try to put myself in his eyes, but it's hard: I prefer to be told that My husband is definitely in Italy in two weeks and then after two weeks to be told two more and then still another two or two and then to be told directly and without filters, six months, looking into his eyes and his voice clear and well articulated ?
and then after six months if he is not here yet? and if it really came after two weeks? and what about my heart, my emotions?
are Italian, there's nothing to do, and I'd feel exactly the answer that comes closest to the truth, however painful it is for me or a future of painful waiting and uncertainty.
then I think my emotions.
but if a Senegalese tells me that he did not, he does not prefer, I know that for it he is right and I can not ignore this point of view.

we discussed at length last night and I laye out of the windows was dark, now it is autumn and at home have access to the heating went out in the traffic of Corso Buenos Aires and to make me understand that I was not criticizing nor was urging me to lie to my customers, I offered an aperitif proud of it although it does not work for ten days and both he, like so many others on this earth, painfully waiting for a permit of stay blessed.
a drink full of meanings, the one last night, a look important to laye about my work and my ability: laye believes in me and wants me to grow and sow doubts and questions in my head so that I can reflect and improve.

obedient and I reflect, like a madwoman: how to safeguard the only thing that really point why people choose me, me and everyone else in town offers the same service?
I say things as they are, help to orient themselves, reveal background uncomfortable that no one has ever bothered to explain going beyond the difficulties of language and the huge burden of expectation and hope that is taken every day in my office .
I tell the truth.
those who want to come in Italy say that life here is not that hip hop kitsch paradise of limousines and beautiful women who think they find.
to those who are here say that if you think you pay a sinister stranger who promises him the miracle of a document is better that the money his mother sent them to the ram of tabasky, because that document will be false to the first check and he find a home for tabasky even before he realized that he blinked.

but how to say it, the truth, what I like stark, because it is not likely to be for someone else unnecessary violence?

in silence, someone told me this morning.
sì, forse è proprio in silenzio che va detta.
ascoltando, allenandosi a percepire la richiesta e a modulare la risposta sulle esigenze espresse dall’altro, sul suo orecchio, che del resto sentirà solo quello che gli verrà detto in maniera per lui comprensibile.
la verità è una sola: su questo io e laye siamo d’accordo.
ma declamarla con voce squillante come le trombe del Giudizio non aiuterà chi di giudizi ne subisce già tutti i giorni, chi fonda la sua sopravvivenza più sulla speranza che sulla certezza, chi ha le orecchie ferite da troppe feroci verità.
la verità detta da chi sta bene è difficile che entri nelle orecchie of those who are ill.
the truth exposed by cold, rational logic clearly does not magically convince those who are confused.

truth quietly.

what you learn when you have friends who have other truths.



0 comments:

Post a Comment